FUG’s role involves:
- Home – school partnership
- Safeguarding the interests of parents in connection with school
- Distributing information on how the home-school partnership works
- Distributing information on how parents can support their children
- Setting the agenda and supporting parents as regards key issues such as indoor climate, bullying, parent meetings, schoolwork, etc.
FUG is appointed by the King in the Council of State for a period of four years. FUG consists of a president, a vice president, five members and two deputy members. The members come from different parts of the country and have children at school. Members must have worked actively as a parent representative at school or municipal level.
The current FUG was appointed on 18th December 2015 for the period 2016–2019.
FUG’s secretariat consists of ten employees and is based in Oslo.